With the Indomitus box set coming out, it's natural for me to expect the new Chaplain model to have a completely new designed skull helmet... However, it doesn't 😂 As a long time Chaplain fan, I have no choice but to replicate one for the Indomitus Chaplain. Normally the process of making a copy requires silicon which takes up to two days to make a decent mod, so instead of silicon, I use the blue stuff to make a mold for it.
So what is blue stuff? It's a flexible putty that gets soften while being heated. It's usually used for making a simple mold to replicate small parts. It's quite simple on paper: you heat it up with boiled water, and you make a mold while it's soft.
My plan is this:
1. Use my paint plate as a mold shaper.
2. Heat up blue stuff with boiled water
3. Put blue stuff in hot water
4. Put blue stuff in paint plate
5. Put helmet in blue stuff while the blue stuff is still soft
6. Put another layer over the previous blue stuff
7. Done
This mold is a disaster. It's too big for a small helmet, meaning the putty gets cooled down fast. Also the upper mold and the base mold doesn't snap together properly because I take them apart too fast... I should have just let them cool down and harden properly.
After many failures, here's the successful process I learned:
Remember those pillbox sold in the pharmacy? It has the exact right capacity for a helmet and limits the use of blue stuff, and it even has a lid! That will make the molds snap together without any gaps.
So I heat the putty, fill the box about 90%, and put the helmet in (about exact 50%, face down).
If you find the blue stuff isn't soft enough, put it back into hot water for 1 minute or 2. I do this very regularly to make sure it remains soft, so it can replicate the details on my miniature correctly.
Learning from the previous failure, this time I make two big dents to make sure the upper blue stuff will form a "mold latch" and doesn't wobble around.
Now I put the rest blue stuff on top (after reheating it), and close the lid...
The blue stuff is also very flexible. To make sure it doesn't wobble, I put some rubber bands on while the blue stuff is cooling down.
After 15 minutes, I put it in cold water for 5 minutes. Now the mold is finally completed.

Now, put any kind of putty into the mold and wait. The result couldn't get any better ðŸ˜
The process is easier said than done really. You need to reheat the putty very often, and many annoying things to deal with during the process. Be quite patient with making the mold and knowing you will fail at least 1 or 2 times. But it's worth it, now we have the helmet ready for our chaplain on Sunday! See you in Indomitus day!💪









Comments
Post a Comment